732 days ago

Port Hills fire: ‘We’re not out of the woods yet’

Nicole Mathewson Reporter from The Press

The Port Hills fire has burned across 630 hectares and spread inside the Christchurch Adventure Park’s boundaries overnight.

Eighty households were evacuated, the city’s mayor said, but Fire and Emergency New Zealand (Fenz) said no structures had been lost “thanks to the great efforts of our crews”.

The main fire was around Summit Rd. Firefighters had successfully put a fire break in around Worsleys Spur to Dyers Pass Rd, Mosby said.

Fenz was aware northwesterly winds were forecast to build from about lunchtime, so the focus on Thursday was to “hit the fire hard with the resources we have already“.

The fire broke out about 2.15pm on Wednesday - the anniversary of the devastating 2017 fire - and a local state of emergency remains in place.

Fenz said 80 firefighters were on the ground on Thursday, while in the air were 15 helicopters with monsoon buckets and two fixed wing aircraft focused on retardant drops.

A community meeting would be held for affected residents at Te Hāpua Halswell Centre at 11am.

Also on Thursday morning, two helicopters had been diverted to a vegetation fire burning through scrub in the View Hill area of North Canterbury, to would help six crews “who are mopping up, focusing on areas of unsafe terrain”, Fenz said.

A grass fire also threatened structures near Rolleston in Selwyn just before 9am on Thursday. Four Fenz trucks and one tanker responded and it was contained within an hour.

An evacuation centre had been set up at Halswell Library and Community Centre, and a second at the Lincoln community centre for people closer to Selwyn.

A community meeting would be held for affected residents at Te Hāpua Halswell Centre at 11am.

Late Wednesday, Fenz asked for help from the public as an investigation into the cause of the fire began.

Anyone with photographs or videos of the Port Hills taken between 1.45pm and 2.45pm (30 minutes before the fire was reported to 30 minutes after) Wednesday were asked to email them to PortHills2024Photos@fireandemergency.nz with their name and contact details, when the photo or footage was taken and where the photographer was.

More messages from your neighbours
5 days ago

Poll: Should the government levy industries that contribute to financial hardship?

The Team from Neighbourly.co.nz

As reported in the Post, there’s a $30 million funding gap in financial mentoring. This has led to services closing and mentors stepping in unpaid just to keep helping people in need 🪙💰🪙

One proposed solution? Small levies on industries that profit from financial hardship — like banks, casinos, and similar companies.

So we want to hear what you think:
Should the government ask these industries to contribute?

Image
Should the government levy industries that contribute to financial hardship?
  • 59.6% Yes, supporting people is important!
    59.6% Complete
  • 25.9% No, individuals should take responsibility
    25.9% Complete
  • 14.5% ... It is complicated
    14.5% Complete
984 votes
4 hours ago

Poll: Do you have a go-to adverse-weather checklist for your family? ☔⚠️

The Team from Neighbourly.co.nz

As reported in the Press, the same low-pressure system that lashed the North Island over the weekend is now making its way south, bringing heavy rain and strong winds with it. It’s a soggy start to the week for many of us.

With more wild weather on the cards, we’re curious: do you have a go-to adverse-weather checklist for your family? Or are you more of a “grab the torches and hope for the best” household?

Image
Do you have a go-to adverse-weather checklist for your family? ☔⚠️
  • 16.7% Yes - we like to be prepared
    16.7% Complete
  • 66.7% Nah
    66.7% Complete
  • 16.7% This is on my to-do list!
    16.7% Complete
6 votes
14 days ago

Please Share This Story From Otautahi Newsroom Far and Wide To Help These Men

Mark and Rachael from Upper Riccarton

Otautahi Newsroom

Concerns are being raised about the safety, care standards, and duty of care at a Comcare-supported residential flat in Bishopdale, Christchurch, where vulnerable older men with significant mental health conditions are living.

An advocate speaking on behalf of four residents , says the men are experiencing ongoing intimidation, alleged abuse, and serious safety risks within the flat. The residents are described as having limited capacity to advocate for themselves and have asked for help to bring the situation to public attention.

The flat houses five male residents, all aged over 60 and all considered vulnerable adults with psychiatric illnesses. It is alleged that one resident, I (64), has displayed escalating aggressive and intimidating behaviour over a period of approximately five years. According to reports from residents and those advocating for them, this behaviour has included verbal threats, alleged physical incidents, repeated boundary violations, and conduct that has left others living in fear.

Reported incidents include police attendance following an alleged knife-related event and theft of personal property, an incident in which one resident was allegedly restrained in his bed, repeated verbal intimidation, and unauthorised entry into other residents’ bedrooms. There are also claims that staff members have been assaulted or felt unsafe attending the property, with some reportedly conducting visits from outside the flat due to safety concerns.

Advocates say the ongoing situation has had a severe impact on the mental and physical wellbeing of the affected residents. All four men report feeling unsafe in their own home, with some considering leaving the property despite believing they should not be forced out of housing they were promised would be safe and stable.

One resident, D, who has both mental health needs and a heart condition, is said to have taken on an informal role trying to protect others. Advocates argue this is inappropriate and unsafe, stating that residents should not be expected to manage high-risk situations without professional support. They also claim that Comcare has breached contractual commitments to provide safe, peaceful, and stable housing.

Further concerns have been raised about the suitability of the property itself. The Bishopdale house was originally a four-bedroom home with one bathroom but was altered to accommodate a fifth resident by converting a sunroom into a bedroom. Critics argue that having one toilet for five men over the age of 63 is inadequate and compromises dignity, health, and wellbeing.

There are also claims from a family member of a former resident that care provided to her terminally ill brother at the property was insufficient, adding to broader concerns about oversight and duty of care.

Despite multiple complaints reportedly being lodged with agencies, advocates say they have seen no meaningful action. They are now calling for urgent intervention, including:
• Immediate rehousing of resident I into a 24-hour staffed care facility, dementia care, or appropriate hospital setting
• An urgent, independent investigation into Comcare’s management of the Bishopdale property
• Assessment of whether elder abuse or neglect is occurring
• A full review of duty of care, risk management, and safeguarding practices
• Immediate measures to ensure the safety and wellbeing of the remaining residents

Advocates warn that without urgent action, there is a serious risk of harm. They say the men deserve to live without fear and with appropriate care that protects their dignity, mental health, and quality of life.

Image