979 days ago

Uncertainty remains for flood ravaged Westport residents

Nicole Mathewson Reporter from The Press

Brendon McMahon
, Local democracy reporter

The future of nine properties excluded from the Westport flood scheme is still unclear.

In the meantime, the main partner to lead the project has been told to keep quiet.

The matter was brought up by West Coast Regional Council Infrastructure Governance Committee chairperson Frank Dooley, of Westport, in his report on Tuesday.

Dooley said the nearly $23 million 'support package' from the Government, announced a month ago for Westport, had been very welcome.

However, the terms and conditions with the money were "closely held" between the council chairman, chief executive and the Government.

Dooley said the money was a significant injection of capital and was appreciated by the Westport community.

It was half the amount requested in the original $56m co-funded proposal put forward last year by the council at the encouragement of the Government. That had been seen as a blueprint for future 75% to 25% flood infrastructure co-funding elsewhere in the country.

However, councillor Mark McIntyre, of Westport, said there was not universal support in the wake of the $23m Budget announcement.

"Not everyone is happy," he said.

In particular, Snodgrass Rd residents were "still left hanging" and the precedent set by the Government announcement of categoried properties in Hawke's Bay not to allow rebuilds or "red zoning" had created even more uncertainty, McIntyre said.

Dooley said the Westport funding included an obligation for the council to work with affected property owners who might be excluded.

"You and I have some work to do particularly with our Snodgrass residents, and maybe others," he said to McIntyre.

The Hawke's Bay precedent gave some clarity.

"That obligation still sits on our shoulders," Dooley said.



The criteria for the new categories would come from local government and the insurance sector working together to inform those affected, chief executive Darryl Lew said.

Auckland and Gisborne were next in line for property category announcements.

"The question then comes to what about other areas around the country; that's what the rest of the country is waiting on," Lew said.

Council chairperson Peter Haddock said the next step for the Westport project itself would be a steering group, but the details of it were confidential by a Government directive.

Lew said there was little he could tell councillors as the chairperson and himself had been bound by a confidentiality agreement.

"We have met with DIA (Department of Internal Affairs) and have been told not to share."

More messages from your neighbours
5 days ago

Poll: Should the government levy industries that contribute to financial hardship?

The Team from Neighbourly.co.nz

As reported in the Post, there’s a $30 million funding gap in financial mentoring. This has led to services closing and mentors stepping in unpaid just to keep helping people in need 🪙💰🪙

One proposed solution? Small levies on industries that profit from financial hardship — like banks, casinos, and similar companies.

So we want to hear what you think:
Should the government ask these industries to contribute?

Image
Should the government levy industries that contribute to financial hardship?
  • 59.7% Yes, supporting people is important!
    59.7% Complete
  • 26% No, individuals should take responsibility
    26% Complete
  • 14.3% ... It is complicated
    14.3% Complete
1056 votes
6 days ago

A Neighbourly Riddle! Don’t Overthink It… Or Do?😜

The Riddler from The Neighbourly Riddler

Do you think you know the answer? Simply 'Like' this post if you know the answer and the big reveal will be posted in the comments at 2pm on the day!

If you multiply this number by any other number, the answer will always be the same. What number is this?

Image
13 days ago

Have you got New Zealand's best shed? Show us and win!

Mei Leng Wong Reporter from NZ Gardener & Get Growing

Once again, Resene and NZ Gardener are on the hunt for New Zealand’s best shed! Send in the photos and the stories behind your man caves, she sheds, clever upcycled spaces, potty potting sheds and colourful chicken coops. The Resene Shed of the Year 2026 winner receives $1000 Resene ColorShop voucher, a $908 large Vegepod Starter Pack and a one-year subscription to NZ Gardener. To enter, tell us in writing (no more than 500 words) why your garden shed is New Zealand’s best, and send up to five high-quality photos by email to mailbox@nzgardener.co.nz. Entries close February 23, 2026.

Image