‘Significant progress’ on Reefton retaining Globe Progress access
From local democracy reporter Brendon McMahon:
There has been "significant progress" to keep open the access road and bridge to the closed Globe Progress gold mine at Reefton, the West Coast Conservation Board has heard.
The West Coast Conservation Board last week heard from Reefton-based board member and geologist John Taylor that liaison between community interests and DOC was "making significant progress" to ensure assets associated with the former mine site, including the access road and bridge across the Inangahua River, were kept.
Under the access agreement granted by DOC to allow Oceana Gold to develop Globe Progress, the access road and bridge had to be removed once site rehabilitation was completed. The mine closed in 2016.
In December, Taylor gave DOC a serve over the way it was
communicating with the Reefton community over the future of that access.
Submissions sought by DOC early in 2022 from Reefton on the future use of the site had come to nothing, a frustrated Mr Taylor said at the time.
"Black and white, we have had no response from the Department of Conservation at all. We expected to get some feedback, we got no feedback. We got nothing," he said in December.
On Monday, Taylor said there were now moves to form an incorporated society to facilitate a transfer and future management agreement with DOC.
It had made clear it would only deal with a formalised legal entity to take on the Globe access road, he said.
"DOC have come in from a position that they will not deal with anything seriously until we have a legal entity to deal with."
DOC's new Greymouth area manager, Chris Hickford, had been "very supportive" in trying to facilitate that, Taylor said.
"With Chris Hickford there is a very good working relationship."
The new entity would be called the Reefton Goldfields Trust, but time was now of the essence, Taylor said.
This was because moves were being initiated under the Oceana Gold and DOC agreement to seek costs to rip out the road, rehabilitate the route, and pull out the bridge in the final site clean up.
"We're running out of time rapidly. In a sense, we're making progress as of that December meeting DOC have for the first time come through and said if you put up a serious business case to keeping Globe (access) open, we'd basically consider it. Until then they would never talk to us."
Western South Island director Mark Davies made no comment on the matter at the board's meeting in Westport last week.
But in December he acknowledged a "communication breakdown" around Reefton community aspirations to keep the access open.
Taylor said the proposal now for a trust would also deal with local volunteer work currently being done on DOC administered land in the area, particularly around securing heritage sites.
Currently that was technically illegal at present.
As well, securing the Globe access would crucially provide an alternative to the now closed Rough Creek Track by linking up Waiuta and Big River via the Inkerman Track to the mine's 'outer ring road' and then down to the Globe site.
"That makes a really fit for purpose alternative to the old Rough Creek Track."
Poll: Should the government levy industries that contribute to financial hardship?
As reported in the Post, there’s a $30 million funding gap in financial mentoring. This has led to services closing and mentors stepping in unpaid just to keep helping people in need 🪙💰🪙
One proposed solution? Small levies on industries that profit from financial hardship — like banks, casinos, and similar companies.
So we want to hear what you think:
Should the government ask these industries to contribute?
-
60% Yes, supporting people is important!
-
25.7% No, individuals should take responsibility
-
14.3% ... It is complicated
A Neighbourly Riddle! Don’t Overthink It… Or Do?😜
Do you think you know the answer? Simply 'Like' this post if you know the answer and the big reveal will be posted in the comments at 2pm on the day!
If you multiply this number by any other number, the answer will always be the same. What number is this?
Have you got New Zealand's best shed? Show us and win!
Once again, Resene and NZ Gardener are on the hunt for New Zealand’s best shed! Send in the photos and the stories behind your man caves, she sheds, clever upcycled spaces, potty potting sheds and colourful chicken coops. The Resene Shed of the Year 2026 winner receives $1000 Resene ColorShop voucher, a $908 large Vegepod Starter Pack and a one-year subscription to NZ Gardener. To enter, tell us in writing (no more than 500 words) why your garden shed is New Zealand’s best, and send up to five high-quality photos by email to mailbox@nzgardener.co.nz. Entries close February 23, 2026.
Loading…