No time frame to have Christchurch bus exchange back up and running
By reporter Poppy Clark:
Christchurch’s intercity bus exchange is closed for a second day, and Environment Canterbury says it has “no time frame” for when it will be back up and running.
On Monday morning passengers were advised to get up earlier to catch their bus in time for the start of the working week.
Buses were using the Manchester St Super Stop as a temporary interchange location after technical difficulties caused the bus exchange in town to close.
With different routes having to be taken and times not being displayed, Watford said the Manchester St Super Stop was like waiting for a connecting flight at the airport, bus rider Kayleigh Watford said.
“If you miss your first one it means your second one is messed up."
Regular commuter Mina Morgan was confused and frustrated by the Manchester St Super Stop.
“Everybody is rushing, everybody is running, everybody is trying to get to work and on time without getting late.”
Morgan said he wanted more structure and organisation if the closure of the interchange was going to continue.
On its Facebook page, Metro Canterbury said the building had been “impacted by a technology outage”.
Environment Canterbury public transport general manager Stewart Gibbon said some scheduled maintenance by their supplier had caused an unexpected outage which affected the interchange.
“The technology system that manages bay allocation and bay door operations at the interchange is not functioning, meaning we are currently unable to operate the interchange effectively and safely,” he said.
“Our normal contingency for interchange unavailability has been put in place, meaning the Manchester St super stops are the designated central city bus stop until this issue is resolved. Route 17 customers should use the route’s stops on Hereford St.”
When asked when the bus exchange would reopen, regional council Environment Canterbury refused to be interviewed and instead said the Metro Canterbury Facebook page would be updated as news came to hand.
It said there was no time frame for the bus exchange to be operating again as normal.
City councillor for Central Ward Jake McLellan said the closure was “frustrating and disappointing”.
Addictive Eaters Anonymous
After ten years of depression, my life had hit rock bottom
I remember being ‘different’ around food for most of my life. This included things such as being the person who had two cream buns at morning tea when everyone else had one; eating icing sugar by the spoonful directly from the packet; and being the family member who went into the kitchen after dinner to eat the leftovers. There are numerous other examples – too many to list. I could overeat anything. If I couldn’t get my preferred favourites (e.g. chocolate), I’d be eating the vegetables.
Poll: Should the government levy industries that contribute to financial hardship?
As reported in the Post, there’s a $30 million funding gap in financial mentoring. This has led to services closing and mentors stepping in unpaid just to keep helping people in need 🪙💰🪙
One proposed solution? Small levies on industries that profit from financial hardship — like banks, casinos, and similar companies.
So we want to hear what you think:
Should the government ask these industries to contribute?
-
60.1% Yes, supporting people is important!
-
25.7% No, individuals should take responsibility
-
14.3% ... It is complicated
Poll: Do you have a go-to adverse-weather checklist for your family? ☔⚠️
As reported in the Press, the same low-pressure system that lashed the North Island over the weekend is now making its way south, bringing heavy rain and strong winds with it. It’s a soggy start to the week for many of us.
With more wild weather on the cards, we’re curious: do you have a go-to adverse-weather checklist for your family? Or are you more of a “grab the torches and hope for the best” household?
-
44.4% Yes - we like to be prepared
-
38.9% Nah
-
16.7% This is on my to-do list!
Loading…