980 days ago

Youth encouraged to join emergency services

Nicole Mathewson Reporter from Northern Outlook

By David Hill, Local Democracy Reporter

Recruiting young people into emergency services is back on the agenda for two North Canterbury councils.

The Hurunui District Council is bringing back its Youth in Emergency Services camp in July, while the Waimakariri District Council is looking to replace its successful cadet programme with a Youth in Emergency Management course.

Youth in Emergency Services (YES) was a national programme to introduce young people to volunteering in emergency services, until funding ran out five years ago.

The programme is being re-introduced in the Hurunui district thanks to the efforts of the Hurunui Youth Council

‘‘I was informed about the YES camp concept last year when I took the lead on the emergency services portfolio,’’ youth council deputy chairperson and Amuri Area School year 13 student Sam Bush said.

‘‘I decided it was something worth looking into and, through our youth council processes, it was voted on to proceed and planning began.’’

The youth council has joined forces with police, Civil Defence, Fire and Emergency New Zealand, Land Search and Rescue (LandSAR), St John and the Red Cross.

Funding has come from the Ministry of Youth Development, the Rāta Foundation and Civil Defence Emergency Management (CDEM).

The YES camp will run during the July school holidays, from July 10 to 14, at the Hanmer Forest Residential Camp and is open to young people aged 16 to 19-years.

‘‘The camp is a good pathway for youth who are interested in becoming a volunteer or are looking at one of the emergency services as their future career,’’ Bush said.

‘‘It will provide them with an opportunity to experience some of what is involved with these organisations.’’

After running the YES programme for several years in collaboration with the Hurunui and Selwyn District Councils, the Waimakariri District Council’s CDEM team developed its own cadet programme.

But the programme became difficult to sustain during Covid-19, Waimakariri mayor Dan Gordon said.

‘‘It was an initiative that we were very proud to have developed, however, the past couple of years have provided a difficult environment in which to operate the programme.’’

Council staff reviewed it last year and decided they could not continue it in its present form.

‘‘After engaging with the cadets, their families and key staff, it was decided the best option would be to replace the CDEM cadet programme with a sustainable long-term programme for Youth in Emergency Management,’’ Gordon said.

The new initiative would run for eight weeks, instead of being run for the duration of the school year, with the potential to offer it up to four times a year.

The focus would be on Civil Defence training.

■ To apply for the Hurunui District Council’s YES Camp, go to hurunui.govt.nz/yescamp2023.

More messages from your neighbours
6 days ago

Poll: Should the government levy industries that contribute to financial hardship?

The Team from Neighbourly.co.nz

As reported in the Post, there’s a $30 million funding gap in financial mentoring. This has led to services closing and mentors stepping in unpaid just to keep helping people in need 🪙💰🪙

One proposed solution? Small levies on industries that profit from financial hardship — like banks, casinos, and similar companies.

So we want to hear what you think:
Should the government ask these industries to contribute?

Image
Should the government levy industries that contribute to financial hardship?
  • 59.3% Yes, supporting people is important!
    59.3% Complete
  • 26.2% No, individuals should take responsibility
    26.2% Complete
  • 14.5% ... It is complicated
    14.5% Complete
1093 votes
1 day ago

Poll: Do you have a go-to adverse-weather checklist for your family? ☔⚠️

The Team from Neighbourly.co.nz

As reported in the Press, the same low-pressure system that lashed the North Island over the weekend is now making its way south, bringing heavy rain and strong winds with it. It’s a soggy start to the week for many of us.

With more wild weather on the cards, we’re curious: do you have a go-to adverse-weather checklist for your family? Or are you more of a “grab the torches and hope for the best” household?

Image
Do you have a go-to adverse-weather checklist for your family? ☔⚠️
  • 42.9% Yes - we like to be prepared
    42.9% Complete
  • 46.4% Nah
    46.4% Complete
  • 10.7% This is on my to-do list!
    10.7% Complete
28 votes
13 days ago

Have you got New Zealand's best shed? Show us and win!

Mei Leng Wong Reporter from NZ Gardener & Get Growing

Once again, Resene and NZ Gardener are on the hunt for New Zealand’s best shed! Send in the photos and the stories behind your man caves, she sheds, clever upcycled spaces, potty potting sheds and colourful chicken coops. The Resene Shed of the Year 2026 winner receives $1000 Resene ColorShop voucher, a $908 large Vegepod Starter Pack and a one-year subscription to NZ Gardener. To enter, tell us in writing (no more than 500 words) why your garden shed is New Zealand’s best, and send up to five high-quality photos by email to mailbox@nzgardener.co.nz. Entries close February 23, 2026.

Image