Poll: Do you support the fine increase for using a mobile while driving from $80 to $150?
Drivers have been captured on camera boldly using their phones while driving, to video call, text and make calls.
The footage, taken in Auckland, comes as the Government increased the cost of a fine for using a cellphone while driving from $80 to $150.
Over the course of a week, ahead of the fine increase, a Stuff visual journalist captured numerous people using their phones while driving, including a woman who appeared to be on a video call while passing through an intersection, a man speaking on the phone and numerous people texting or looking at their phone.
Last year, police issued more than 40,000 infringement notices for the offence.
A driver for Dingo Groundworx NZ was captured using their phone while driving a truck along Williamson Ave, in Ponsonby.
Owner Cameron Hadley told Stuff all employees were very aware they should not be using their phones while driving.
He said he would be raising the issue in a staff meeting.
AA road safety spokesman Dylan Thomsen told Stuff he wasn’t surprised to hear about the woman video calling while driving.
While AA supports the Government’s fine increase, Thomsen said it wasn’t going to solve the problem.
“People just can’t resist the temptation if they hear their phone go off ... it’s not something you do by accident.”
“A lot of people use their phone behind the wheel and don’t do other risky things.”
He hopes as there are further advancements in technology, phone companies can have default “do not disturb” modes that activate as soon as drivers start moving in their car.
“Until we change the mindset it will be hard with enforcement alone, people don’t appreciate the risks until it’s too late,” Thomsen said.
To see video footage, go here:
www.stuff.co.nz...
*Please put NFP if you do not want your comments used by Stuff.
-
90.2% Yes
-
8% No
-
1.8% Unsure- it's too complex
Share your favourite main crop potato recipe and win a copy of our mag!
Love potatoes? We will give away free copies of the May 2026 issue to readers whose potato recipes are used in our magazine. To be in the running, make sure you email your family's favourite way to enjoy potatoes: mailbox@nzgardener.co.nz, by March 1, 2026.
Auckland Seniors & Travel Expo
Neighbourhood locals are invited to the Auckland Seniors & Travel Expo, a relaxed and welcoming event bringing lifestyle, leisure, and travel together under one roof. Meet 50+ exhibitors showcasing travel ideas, retirement living, mobility solutions, health services, finance, and local clubs. Enjoy live music from Kulios, café seating, door prizes, and be in to win a Luxury Beachfront Escape for Two to Rarotonga.
North Harbour Stadium
28 February & 1 March
10:00am – 3:00pm
$10 entry
Have you got New Zealand's best shed? Show us and win!
Once again, Resene and NZ Gardener are on the hunt for New Zealand’s best shed! Send in the photos and the stories behind your man caves, she sheds, clever upcycled spaces, potty potting sheds and colourful chicken coops. The Resene Shed of the Year 2026 winner receives $1000 Resene ColorShop voucher, a $908 large Vegepod Starter Pack and a one-year subscription to NZ Gardener. To enter, tell us in writing (no more than 500 words) why your garden shed is New Zealand’s best, and send up to five high-quality photos by email to mailbox@nzgardener.co.nz. Entries close February 23, 2026.
Loading…