Front-line health workers in Waitematā DHB are beginning to get their Covid-19 vaccinations.
It comes a week before the DHB officially launches its vaccination programme for its 8600 staff.
In a media release, the DHB said it would start with 1820 higher-risk staff members who are more at risk of contracting the virus through direct patient contact if community transmission was to occur.
North Shore Hospital emergency department nurse Tegan Mayo received her first dose of the Pfizer vaccine this week.
"The whole process was painless and I encourage everyone to get vaccinated when the opportunity arises, Mayo said.
"It was exciting and I was glad to be part of history being made."
Vaccination clinics for healthcare workers have been set up at both North Shore Hospital and Waitākere Hospital.
DHB chief executive Dale Bramley said vaccinations beginning was an important milestone in protecting the community from Covid-19.
"An incredible amount of work has gone on to get these clinic up and running and the vaccination of our staff will provide yet another layer of protection for all those who use and visit our facilities."
Kia ora Auckland,
Should Queen Street be car-free?
Major roading upgrades are set to get underway on Queen Street which the council says will improve pedestrian spaces.
The work is set to begin on Monday between Shortland and Customs streets, limiting traffic to a single lane each way and with bus priority in the evening peak.
Some have expressed their concerns for the project including a group of businesses and landlords calling itself Save Queen. The group applied for an interim injunction to halt the council's planned Queen St upgrade and a High Court Judge will decide whether to approve the injunction later today.
Should the upgrade go even further and ban passenger vehicles altogether? Let us know in the comments and don't forget to type NFP if you don't want your comment used in your local community paper.
Great image of northern motorway under construction in the late 60's.
Drivers have been captured on camera boldly using their phones while driving, to video call, text and make calls.
The footage, taken in Auckland, comes as the Government increased the cost of a fine for using a cellphone while driving from $80 to $150.
Over the course of a week, ahead of the fine increase, a Stuff visual journalist captured numerous people using their phones while driving, including a woman who appeared to be on a video call while passing through an intersection, a man speaking on the phone and numerous people texting or looking at their phone.
Last year, police issued more than 40,000 infringement notices for the offence.
A driver for Dingo Groundworx NZ was captured using their phone while driving a truck along Williamson Ave, in Ponsonby.
Owner Cameron Hadley told Stuff all employees were very aware they should not be using their phones while driving.
He said he would be raising the issue in a staff meeting.
AA road safety spokesman Dylan Thomsen told Stuff he wasn’t surprised to hear about the woman video calling while driving.
While AA supports the Government’s fine increase, Thomsen said it wasn’t going to solve the problem.
“People just can’t resist the temptation if they hear their phone go off ... it’s not something you do by accident.”
“A lot of people use their phone behind the wheel and don’t do other risky things.”
He hopes as there are further advancements in technology, phone companies can have default “do not disturb” modes that activate as soon as drivers start moving in their car.
“Until we change the mindset it will be hard with enforcement alone, people don’t appreciate the risks until it’s too late,” Thomsen said.
To see video footage, go here:
*Please put NFP if you do not want your comments used by Stuff.
90.1% Yes90.1% Complete
8.1% No8.1% Complete
1.8% Unsure- it's too complex1.8% Complete