The Red Cross shop on Burnett Street is having vintage week plus more.
Spark have recently announced a price increase of $3 - $5 a month for new and existing broadband customers and other providers seem likely to follow suit.
Information collated by our research team has found that tens of thousands of Kiwis are still missing out on hundreds of dollars of savings each year on their broadband bill, because they are failing to shop around for cheaper broadband plans.
We estimate that over 500,000 households would be able to pay less for their broadband each month but many consumers are unaware of the fact that they could be making these savings and people often don’t know where to start when looking for a change in broadband plan or provider.
This is where NZ Compare can help. Our websites are simple to use and if you need more help, our friendly, Auckland based, customer support centre can advise on the most suitable broadband plan for your needs and help talk you through the switch. With unlimited fibre broadband plans available for less than $60 a month why would you pay more?
Find out more at NZ Compare or call the team on 0508 226672
CORRECTION: This post has been amended to clarify that the price of fibre and copper broadband internet services will increase, and that the increase is between $3 and $5 a month, not only $5 a month on fibre broadband plans as previously posted. (Amended at 10.31am, June 23, 2022)
From local democracy reporter Jonathan Leask:
Ashburton’s historic railway footbridge could be in for a makeover.
The Ashburton District Council is investigating what can be done to the 105-year-old structure and how to fund it.
The council is in the process of obtaining a conservation management plan (CMP) for the heritage overbridge, which infrastructure services group manager Neil McCann says will include what condition the bridge should be maintained to and if any changes or additions, such as lights, can be made.
Work had started on the CMP and should be completed as early as the end of July, he said.
A detailed inspection in August 2018 identified an estimated $290,450 worth of maintenance and repairs, which McCann said included painting the iron work and replacing some decayed timber.
An inspection of the bridge in November 2021 confirmed the work required, he said.
Once a CMP is completed the work will then be programmed once funding is secured.
Council roading manager Mark Chamberlain said funding was the big issue – like it was for any project.
“We have $100,000 to do maintenance on all our structures including that bridge,” Chamberlain said.
“If I had to choose to spend that on one bridge or another, I think I would choose one with the traffic on it.
“But it is a heritage listed bridge so we do need to look after it.”
McCann said once the CMP was received “we will make enquiries to determine what funding opportunities are available”.
Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga has the bridge listed as a category 2 heritage place, but the Rail Heritage Trust had the former railway station and footbridge listed together on its historic register so had designated the bridge as being demolished along with the station.
The council is contacting the trust to ensure its register is updated to list the footbridge as still existing as a stand-alone item and also plans to enquire about possible funding assistance.
History of the footbridge
The Railway Footbridge was constructed in 1917 and is the key surviving feature from the Ashburton Railway Station complex following the demolition of the main station building in 2013.
The Railway Footbridge, with its bowstring truss, is one of a few such railway footbridges that remain in situ.
Initially the east end of the bridge had ramps descending at right angles both towards the town centre and to the station building, but the northeast ramp was removed in 1983.
The Ashburton Railway Station, opened in 1917, remained a busy thoroughfare until the 1980s, when the number of passenger trains was steadily reduced.
In 2002, the passenger train service stopped altogether and the station building was demolished in 2013.
From local democracy reporter Jonathan Leask:
Rakaia’s rugby club president says it’s an exciting time after receiving council backing for a new community facility in the Rakaia Domain.
The rugby club is leading a project to demolish the existing outdated facility at the Rakaia Domain and build a new one that will serve as a community recreation centre.
The council, in the annual plan, resolved to fund public toilets in the new facility and to offer an up to $200,000 commercial loan to support the club’s fundraising efforts, none of which impacts rates.
“It’s an exciting time for us to now have the council on board with the public amenities and also the financial backing,” club president Mark Hanrahan said.
“The contribution from the council is a significant step towards the total package.
“It’s exciting for the club and the community.”
The rugby club completed its design and cost estimates in March 2021 and is making progress to secure funds, and Hanrahan said the timeline was still focused on completion by the second quarter of 2023.
Back in 2015, the Rakaia Stadium Trust had pitched to the council to back a new sports complex at the Rakaia Domain. But as the EA Networks Centre was readying to open the council balked at the $1.5 million funding request towards the estimated $5m facility.
Hanrahan, who was part of the project team for the stadium, said the current plan is fit for purpose.
The project first went before the council in December when the club was advised to submit its requests for financial support to the annual plan.
In the annual plan the council committed to $351,000, loan funded, for new public toilets in the facility, as the current ones are part of the existing facility that will be demolished.
The rugby club has sold its clubrooms that were on the other side of town and is currently utilising the neighbouring bowling club as a temporary clubrooms.
The Rakaia Reserve Board’s Bruce Perry told the council in December that the board supported the project as the existing facilities were past their use-by and most likely did not meet earthquake building standards. An assessment had not been undertaken.
Hanrahan said as well as the reserve board they had the support of other sporting codes and now the annual plan has been adopted it has council support.